About Our Publications
The Cabool Enterprise, published each Thursday, is a National Newspaper Association and Missouri Press Association award-winning publication, now in our 123rd year of serving the Cabool community and Texas County.
The Penny$aver Shopper, published Wednesdays, offers the most complete coverage of Texas County and is mailed to more homes and businesses each week than any other publication in the county. We are the only publication that offers complete coverage of Licking, Houston, Cabool, Roby, Success, Raymondville, Eunice, Solo, Elk Creek, Bendavis and Huggins. We also cover Vanzant and portions of Mtn. Grove and Willow Springs.
The South Central Agri-Advertiser is the proven and easy way to get your advertising message to over 26,000 rural homes in Texas, Wright, Howell, Douglas, Oregon and Shannon counties. This publication, now in its 24th year, enjoys a loyal readership following and each issue contains timely and informative news from the world of agriculture. The Agri-Advertiser is published nine times a year.
A Little History
The Cabool Enterprise began publication in 1884 when the City of Cabool was barely two years old.
The pioneer paper of Cabool was the Cabool Weekly Record, founded September 23, 1884 by Thomas Lorenzo Moore and Ledge Comstock. Moore was a city alderman in 1886 and later city clerk; he was postmaster from June 1883-1897. The paper's circulation was about 600.
It is believed that D.L. Watson purchased the Record in 1896, changing its name to The Cabool Enterprise. Little is known of those early publications, as a fire on October 23, 1911 destroyed the newspaper office and a large part of the business district, taking those early files with it. Ben Mires was editor in January 1911, and Dr. J.W. Mires headed the publication from April until December 1914.
George Duncan purchased the paper in January of 1916, also buying out a competing publication, The Cabool Press, from Walter Warden Durnell. He called the new, combined paper the Cabool Enterprise-Press.
The paper was sold to D.L. Watson in March 1921. His father had published the Enterprise 25 years earlier. In the mid-20's F.L. Gillespie acquired the paper and it was sold on March 19, 1925 to J.A. White, who shortened the name to The Cabool Enterprise.
Eight years later, Adolph A. and Florence Herzberg bought the Enterprise, running it for two and a half years before it was purchased by Joseph A. Hanebrink, who kept the business for 16 years.
Hanebrink sold the paper to D.D. Lewis in October 1951. Two years later in November 1953, it was sold to Mr. and Mrs. J.C. Noel of Shelbina. Ivan D. O'Daniell and son purchased the newspaper in the late 1950's.
Wayne and Irene Turner bought the paper on August 1, 1960 and there were two important changes made during their 14 years of operation. First, the paper office moved from 508 Spruce to 525 Main, bringing its 20,000 pound press with it. Then in June of 1970 the paper converted from hot metal composition to the photographic or offset method.
The Turners sold the paper to Stephen Bennett and Lafe Plumb in June of 1974.
In August 1975, c. Russell and Joanne Wood became the new owners of the Enterprise. They sold the business to Lester Moyer in July 1980. The Woods resumed ownership of the paper in March of 1982.
The Enterprise was purchased by Dala and Thomas Whittaker on April 1, 1998. Dala Whittaker had been editor of the newspaper since 1982.